JCP&L Storm Update
Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) has activated its storm response plan, opened its Emergency Command Center, activated the Incident Command System and has extra line, substation, and forestry workers on stand-by alert.
Based on weather forecasts from company meteorologists, JCP&L has also staffed additional dispatchers and analysts at regional dispatch offices and notified contractors that they could be required to assist with storm restoration efforts over the next several days.
FirstEnergy customer call centers are also fully staffed. Customers who are without power are encouraged to call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) to report their outage or click the “Report Outage” link at www.firstenergycorp.com
For severe weather, the company encourages customers to plan ahead for the possibility of electric service interruptions by following these tips:
· Keep flashlights and fresh batteries in your home. Avoid using candles to light your home, especially around children and pets.
· If you have a water well and pump, keep an emergency supply of bottled water and/or fill your tub with fresh water.
· Stock an emergency supply of convenience foods that do not require cooking.
· Have a hard-wired telephone or a charged cell phone handy in the event you need to report your electricity is out. Mobile phones can be charged in your vehicle using a car charger when power is out.
· Gather extra blankets or a sleeping bag for each person.
· Do not use gas stoves, kerosene heaters or other open-flame heat sources to prevent deadly carbon monoxide gas from building up in your home.
· Keep a battery-powered radio with extra batteries on hand. Tune to a local station for current storm information.