Building Permit Department
As per the NJDCA State guidance document and new Governor’s Executive Order 122. ADDED NOTE 2: When entering buildings/homes for inspection, cloth masks or
face coverings should be worn by both the inspector and any individual present at the inspection site
We have begun indoor inspections of residences, provided owners adhere to our strict guidelines. Anyone inside the residence MUST wear a mask and maintain 6 foot distance while we are performing the inspection per the NJ State guidelines above.
- To protect the health, safety and welfare of all users of buildings and structures within the Township of Old Bridge through the enforcement of the Uniform Construction Code of the State of New Jersey and The International Property Maintenance Code adopted by Ordinance.
- To insure the adequate maintenance of buildings and structures throughout the Township by the active enforcement of the Uniform Construction Code of the State of New Jersey and The International Property Maintenance Code adopted by Ordinance.
- To assist the Administration in providing a better community by suggesting the elimination of unnecessary or obsolete regulations, the alteration of regulations to recognize new and innovative technologies and the establishment of new regulations to address changing lifestyles and objectives.
- To assist applicants in the process of obtaining necessary approvals for use and development of properties within the Township.
- To provide assistance to property owners and users, in times of crisis, to minimize disturbance of life and livelihood.
- To maintain and advance the quality of life of people living, working and visiting the Township of Old Bridge by promoting the ideals and principals set forth by the Administration through their policies and legislation adopted by the Township Council.
- To provide and maintain a pleasing visual environment through the application and enforcement of the Township's Ordinance and NJ Statutes.
- To assist in the orderly development of the Township by applying the rules and regulations established by the Ordinances and NJ Statutes.
Township Offices closed to the public due to Coronavirus (covid19). Any questions call between 8 AM - 4 PM via telephone extension 2420 or email email@example.com.
Effective January 1, 2006, all home improvement contractors must be registered with the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs. They will have to produce a registration card from the State before any permits can be issued. This is, of course, a benefit to the homeowners. For more information call Consumer Affairs at: 1-888-656-6225
Home Improvement Contractor checklist
Effective February 5, 2010, all unregulated underground storage tank removals must be performed by a NJDEP UST licensed contractor. A copy of the contractors license is required with each application. This requirement applies to all residential removals as well.
is staffed with two inspectors and one Sub-code official.
has one inspector and one Subcode Official,
has two inspectors and one Subcode official, and
has one Subcode Official.
Approved "Field Copy" plans must be on site for inspection. Under NJ law you are required to have certain inspections performed. Failure to request these inspections can result in a penalty of up to $2000.00/ NJAC 5:23-2.
View all the codes for NJ
All construction usually requires all or some of the following inspections:
1. Footing (prior to concrete pour)
2. Iron inspection (prior to pouring concrete)
3. As built foundation survey
4. Foundation (post pouring)
5. Slab (prior to pouring concrete)
7. Open deck (add a level or low decks)
8. Framing (rough plumbing, electric and fire must pass prior)
10. Above ceiling
11. Final (before occupancy)
12. Final Survey (new homes)
Our plumbing division is staffed with one full time Subcode Official and two full time inspectors.
1. Sewer Tap - (at the main- private only)
2. Sewer and/or water (prior to backfill)
3. Gas pipe air test
4. Underground (prior to covering any pipe, including water test, 200 lb 2hrs)
5. Rough (prior to covering, including water test)
6. Above ceiling
7. Storm Drains (commercial only)
8. Final (prior to using)
The Electric division is staffed with One Subcode Official and One Inspector on a full time basis. They are available for questions during office hours.
1. Underground (prior to covering any wire or conduit)
2. Pre-rough before rough elec. (All heating, cooling duct work complete)
3. Rough wiring (prior to covering in walls & ceiling)
4. Above ceiling
5. Service & meter installations (requires DR #)
6. Final (prior to using)
The Fire Division is staffed with One Subcode Official and one inspector on a full time basis. They are available for questions during business hours.
1. Underground (prior to covering sprinkler pipe)
2. Dry pipe trip test
3. 200 lb hydrostatic test (above and below ground for 2 hrs)
4. Full fire alarm test
5. Wet dump test for commercial kitchen (ansul)
8. Above ceiling (prior to placing tiles)
9. Final (prior to using)
To request an inspection or have questions answered regarding which of the above inspections are required in your project, call the Division of Code Services at 732-721-5600 ext 2420.
Listing files in 'Building Documents'